Hello everyone, we hope you are all well. Fingers crossed we are on the right side of this virus now and we all have to pull together for the long, hard slog to get businesses booming again.
We all love giving our beautiful pooches a treat, and we know that given half the chance they would finish most dishes that we prepare for ourselves. However, human food can be very dangerous for dogs and it is always good to have a refresher on what NOT to give your dog.
Alcohol - Can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing problems, shaking and damage to the central nervous system.
Avocado - It contains Persin which can make dogs very ill with sickness and diarrhoea.
Certain bones - Cooked bones are softer and can easily break. This can cause constipation if eaten, but also the broken or small parts of bone can damage internal organs as it travels through the body.
Caffeine - dogs are more sensitive to stimulants like caffeine than humans. A dog may try to eat a discarded tea back or coffee beans which can be very harmful.
Chocolate - It contains theobromine and if ingested it can cause sickness, diarrhoea, problems with the heart, digestive system, kidneys and central nervous system. The darker the chocolate, the higher the content of theobromine.
Corn on the cob - Although corn is healthy, the cob can do damage to your dog. Eating small chunks of the cob can get stuck in a dog's digestive system and cause blockages.
Grapes and raisins - These fruits contain a toxin which can make dogs very ill and cause both kidney failure and liver damage. Don't forget, they can be hidden in any other foods such as biscuits, cake and bread.
Macadamia nuts - These can cause problems with the nervous system, muscles and possibly cause shaking, sickness and weakness.
Onions, garlic and chives - These items can cause sickness up to a few days after being eaten, and it doesn't matter if the food is raw or cooked, both are not good for dogs.
Xylitol (artificial sweetener) - This is in many foods these days, so always read the label. Be especially careful with low fat versions and sugar free products as this is often added to these products.
As we move towards Christmas, it's also worth including a reminder about the disgusting and dangerous rawhide pet toys / treats.
The vast majority of these rawhide products and treats come from China.
The chews are made from animal hide and their journey starts with the hides being soaked in a toxic sodium sulphide to remove the hair and fat. More chemicals are used in order to split the hide into layers which is then washed with hydrogen peroxide to give the white "pure" look and remove the rancid smell. Now comes the pretty festive colours and the glue to form cute shapes.
On testing, these chews have shown traces of lead, arsenic, mercury, chromium, titanium oxide, sodium benzoate, formaldehyde and many other toxic chemicals.
They also regularly cause intestinal blockages, poisoning from chemical residue and choking. The chews go slippery when wet and are near impossible to get hold of to save a choking dog.
If all that wasn't bad enough, the grisly twist is that the skins of brutally slaughtered dogs in China are mixed with other bits of skin to produce some of these rawhide chews for pet dogs, which are then regularly exported and sold overseas.
So please, leave these disgusting chews in the shop!